A Reality Check on Assessing the Right MarTech Vendors
RSG's recently released Campaign and Lead Management Market Analysis describes the relative positioning of key vendors in this segment using our "Reality Check" framework. The Reality Check is a snapshot of the market at a point in time and complements the in-depth evaluations in our full Campaign and Lead Management Technology research.
Among others, the Reality Check plots two key dimensions -
- Vendor Evolution – Weighs the current pace of change within the vendor itself
- Product Development – Weighs the current pace of change for the solution.
The two dimensions related to "pace of change" determine the position of a vendor on the Reality Check chart.
Let me reiterate that at RSG, we strongly believe that there is no "magic" or "leader" location in such marketplace charts. Some buyers prefer more conservative vendors while other tech customers may prefer vendors who are moving rapidly.
Whatever your preferences, the Reality Check charts can provide you with valuable insights and areas for due diligence during your technology selection process.
RSG Reality Check can identify focus areas for due diligence in technology selection. (Click to Enlarge)
As the chart illustrates, based on where a particular vendor is placed on the Reality Check, you'd want to further drill-down on aspects such as -
- Is the slow pace of product development causing "technical debt" to pile up and will you be saddled with an outdated product, right out of the gate?
- Migration headaches, buggy new releases, all your customizations may not work - lots of thorny issues here. Also, vendor marketing hype gets ahead of new product capabilities
- Is the vendor pivoting and are their focus areas changing? Were they just acquired (a particularly risky time for you)? Will they be continue to support the business use cases that are important to you?
- Is there so much turbulence that should you be looking at alternatives?
As a prospective buyer or existing customer, assess your tolerance for such vendor and technology risks carefully — before you select a tool with long-term consequences.
Subscribers can log in to download the briefing right away.
Not a subscriber and want to sample RSG's evaluation research first? Sure, you can do that.
Also, check out our portfolio of decision tools that can help you make the right choices.